Thursday 29 January 2015

When a Journey ends, another begins.

I've had an amazing experience for the last 10 weeks of having the privilege to learn about global citizenship as apart of the Diploma of Professional Practice. I have been able to learn about the history of globalisation, challenges/ethics of the global citizenship notion, world issues of concern related to global citizenship and action as a global citizen in the work place. Through the three assignments, I have been able to gain a deeper understand about myself as an individual and how my views and behaviours are shaped by human interaction and surroundings. I have also had the opportunity to research three major companies: Google, McDonald's and Hewlett-Packard and created 5 indicators to show that a company is aware of the global issues and is working hard as global citizens to address these issues. Most importantly, I have been able to track my progress since day one and reflect upon my current thoughts and observe the change in thoughts over the ten week period.

After ten weeks, I am still unable to provide a solid definition of what it means to be a global citizen and that's because I don't think it can be defined through words. I want to acknowledge Academics such as Cogan whom I gained some inspiration from for some of my posts and agree with some of the things he has said in an attempt to define global citizenship however, I don't think it should a set criteria. Even though this world is globalising at an exponential rate, there are still many differences in culture, education and wealth, therefore,  all cannot agree upon the definition of global citizenship    . Instead I believe an individual is a global citizen if they not only adhere by the beliefs outline by some academics on global citizenships but also seek to actively contribute to the world and work with  those who are similarly minded to address global issues. I truly believe that because we are all humans apart of Earth that we are all global citizens and have to share the responsibility of maintaining our home.

I still think that education is the biggest driving force behind global citizenship. Education teaches more than information, it is able to teach skills and qualities to enhance the global citizens. Even though they're many challenges that exist, education is vital for the development of future global citizens.

I want to thank Annabelle and Talitha for co-ordinating this course, we may have appeared uninterested in the seminar but I can reassure you that we were not and in fact many of us appreciate the effort and time you take in encouraging our learning. I have managed to gain a lot from it and I find it goes really well with the knowledge I have gained in the introduction to leadership course that I am also concurrently studying and I look forward to applying this knowledge in my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment